Sunday, August 20, 2017

Pilgrimage Reflection, Day 1: Danny Boy

7/17/17:



I don't know why I am so hesitant to embrace my sadness - but I find that when I choose it...when I let it come, I am peaceful. Last night at the castle dinner, I felt so sad - so melancholy - so pitiable. I just...was sad, but didn't want to cry so soon in my journey with these people; and so, I was trying to resist and to be jovial like everyone else...but I couldn't.

They didn't sing Danny Boy last night, and I was so glad. I just would've lost it. BUT, I sang it this morning in the shower, and find that I am so comforted in the sadness, in the words, the tune. They are a love letter, and though they be sad - true. Such love.

Photo Credit: D.J. Unger
 Oh Danny Boy, the pipes - the pipes are calling
From glen to glen and down the mountainside,
The summer's gone and all the flowers are dying,
'Tis you, 'tis you must go, and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow;
I'll be here - in sunshine or shadow.
Oh Danny Boy, oh Danny Boy, I love you so.

But when ye come, and all the flow'rs are dying, 
and I am dead - as dead I well may be,
Then ye shall find the place where I am lying, 
Kneel and say an Ave there for me - 
And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me,
And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be - 
 And you shall bend and tell me that you love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.

Oh Danny Boy,
 Oh Danny Boy,
I love you so.

My very favorite Celtic cross - which perfectly fits Dan's spirit and faith.














[Eventually, of course, Danny Boy was played. I think it was Day 3, as we headed around the Dingle Peninsula. Nigel played it, and as I knew, I began sobbing - like gasp-crying on the bus...but, then Nigel started talking right as they got to the "good" part (the italicized part above), so I never got a complete Danny Boy cry. =) 

When I came home from Ireland, the first place I visited was Dan's grave where I, indeed, knelt and said an Ave there for him.]

Oh Danny Boy, I love you so.

No comments: