Tuesday, August 18, 2015

At the midnight hour

God judged it better to bring good out of evil than to suffer no evil to exist.
St. Augustine

It's interesting that Julie Bernal said to me that 'this is your baby, right now.' Because, this is my 4th sleepless Monday out of the last 5...and I wonder will I ever see a full night of sleep again. Isn't that what all new parents go through? 

4 weeks ago, I had a sleepless Monday before Dan's biopsy; that led to praying the Rosary and finding comfort in knowing Mary knew the pain & anxiety that I was feeling. 3 weeks ago, I had a sleepless Monday before we loaded up the house and we met with the hematologist. I spent that night researching docs at the U of M, praying that we'd be able to get in and move on with answers. 2 weeks ago, I think I actually slept. :) 1 week ago, I was up about this time thinking about my interview, presentation and hoping I would be coherent enough to string words together in a coherent, intelligible manner. 

Today, I don't know... well, I mean, I know today is port-day. Today, we get some education on what to expect with treatment, though we still don't fully know what's going. I think all of those who love and care about Dan just want to be doing something to make it better for him. None of us are really good at just sitting by and letting someone else take care of it...we want to help. 

People say things like, "Take care of yourself, so you can take care of others." Isn't that easier said than done? I think we all need someone to take care of us. We each have that person who allows us to just 'rest' - to just 'be' in their presence...to be undone, to be just enough as our little self. 

...and if you don't have that person, then I suggest you find a cat. In the midnight hour, they'll let you pet them while they purr on your lap...and they'll look into your eyes, and they'll know. 

No comments: