Friday, December 23, 2011

A little bragging

My Great-Aunt Lucy Toal is one of the featured local heroes of Tucson in the Tucson Weekly. (Scroll to the 9th feature)
 
It's such a neat story because she is just doing what she can to help others. It's not a one-time gradiose gesture, but faithfully doing what she can [still do] that, in turn, immensely blesses those who need a bit of hope the most.

 She is my Grandpa Joe's sister (mom's dad). This idea of 'Christian duty' was instilled in them through the strict 'Catholic discipline' of their parents, as my Grandpa related to me in a letter. Grandpa lived his out differently than Lucy; as a public servant, elected to the state legislature representing the people of his district. When I was in an elected position through our professional organization, I wrote him for some advice. In our generation what we see as 'outstanding' and worthy of recognition as a 'local hero,' Grandpa described it as just doing his duty. As a life-long, faithful Catholic, I think he just viewed his 'goodness' and 'acts of service to others' as a simple responsibility to the Gospel; a calling to live faithfully with the 'Golden Rule' always in mind.
 
As a descendant of such humble faithfulness, I hope I live out that same sense of caring and commitment to others. As St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the gospel always. If necessary, use words."

No comments: