Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Reform

This issue has been on my mind and heart a lot in the last few days. So much so that I woke up in the middle of the night and haven't been able to sleep. Instead, this message was in my heart/mind. I am writing to share this with you, in hopes that I can go back to sleep. :)

I have had some trepidation about writing about this subject because I know that there are those out there who will not only disagree with me, but vehemently disagree. Yet, I feel a need to share my own thoughts and do what (little) I can.

When this great healthcare bill was passed a few years ago, it was done so under the need for reform. At that time, it was said that the insurance companies had too much say in what procedures were allowable and what could be covered or not. At that time, it was needed to ensure coverage for all people. I am not writing to condemn the idea that all should have access to healthcare coverage - not in the least.  I am writing to say that if this bill was about reform, then, it needs to undergo further reformation.

Real reform should include options for all - not a sweeping, generalization of mass treatment for the people. The current plan does not include this option for all, but a nationwide mandate that all must obey - or else. The current provisions do not include options, either, but a one-size-fits-all coverage.

There must be options. For example, if family planning is a health-care necessity, then the option to receive counseling and services for natural family planning needs to be covered as an alternative. If there was perhaps a young couple that wanted to know how to work with their bodies to plan for (avoid until the 'right' time) pregnancy and not use the pill, as a matter of conscience, the initial and follow-up counseling sessions should be covered. This young couple could get the pill without question, but would have to pay for the counseling out-of-pocket, which they may not be able to do. If family planning is a health-care necessity, reform should take place to cover options.

Once again, this plan seems to leave not just medical, but moral decisions up to the insurance company - or in this case, the government. If tube-tying and vasectomies are provided for and are cheaper in the long run, rather than having to pay for more labor and delivery costs, who's to say the insurance company won't say, "You know, you were allotted two kids under the plan. If you don't get the surgery, you won't get covered for the next one."

It may seem outlandish, but it is the chance we take when an insurance company or government have the final say - and not ourselves. Personally, I married a fourth child and am the daughter of a fourth and sixth child, respectively. I want to be certain that my health care options allow for me to have as many children as God gives and we "plan."

I am concerned that the government has set-up a 'mother state' with this bill. It should concern all of us, whether 'our option' is covered or not, that a government with priorities that may be different from ours could have the final say in our health choices. Real reform includes options and respect for all - even those who think and believe differently from ourselves.

If interested, I encourage you to consider signing this petition with whitehouse.gov.

The first amendment states: Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of a religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

No comments: