Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sleepless

Well, it's 4 am here; friends in family in Iowa and Michigan are just starting their days and I am wondering why mine isn't continuing in slumber. This is now the 3rd night of 4 where I have awoken in the early morning hours, unable to get back to sleep. So, I have used the time to pray, to journal, to worry, to read.

Not sleeping when I should makes me anxious. Especially when I am sick - and right now I am recovering from a cold. I took yesterday off to rest and recuperate since yesterday morning I awoke at 2 am and didn't get back to sleep until around 4:30 or so.

Anyway, I didn't really come on here to lament about my present state, but rather to just wonder and commemorate what God has done in the last 6 weeks.

Six weeks ago, our cargo trailer was stolen (which I wrote about in our last blog). The following day, while getting ready for work, we received a call that Dan's Uncle Conrad had passed away. He had fought a long battle with health, and I know that he is now at rest with God. However, that never makes our losses (here on earth) easier to take. He loved to talk about farming, to which I never had much to offer, but I enjoyed listening to Dan and him.

I loved him. He didn't want anyone being bothered about him, or to put any one out (again, like my grandfathers) - and I think that's why I wanted to give him special attention. Everybody wants to be listened to, and that was a gift that I could give.

Dan was able to travel back to Michigan for the funeral. It was really important to us that we go - well, at least one of "we." Conrad was important to and loved by us both; we wanted to recognize his life and acknowledge its importance. We didn't "have" to; we chose to. We honor those in our lives by the time that we give them, in life and in death.

No comments: