Saturday, July 9, 2011

The happenings at the casita

Well, God has blessed us with some "pets!"
Maureen
Fernando


We thought Maureen was a Mourning Dove, hence her name. Dan the ornithologist thought so, but now isn't so sure. If there are any Tucson ornithologists reading this blog, please enlighten us. She's made her nest in our Palo Verde tree. She's a dutiful mama and unusually tame. We can walk right up to the tree, around it, talk about her and she doesn't move. 

Fernando is the gecko we found last night climbing our screen. Dan is such an animal lover it spills over to reptiles or amphibians (I don't know). 

The other happenings is reaping the bountiful harvests of fruits and vegetables through Bountiful Baskets. My cousin Julie clued me into this program. It is a 100% volunteer organization that seeks to provide high-quality, 'local' fruits and vegetables at a reasonable costs. If you choose to participate, you sign up between Monday and Tuesday - with pick-up on Saturday. It's $15 for a conventional basket; $25 for organic. There are other options to choose as well: bread, cookies, buns, other fruit. I'd love to get some of the bread, but it's $10 for FIVE loaves. We just don't have that kind of freezer space! 

This is the second week that we have participated - and we have quite the bounty! I also chose the 'Oriental Basket' in addition to the conventional. This supplied us with cabbage, bok choy, garlic, ginger, snap peas, and basil. I think I need to go buy some Thai noodles and peanuts and try my hand at recreating 'ma-mat-pad-gai' (my favorite Thai meal!). 

The FRUIT: bananas, pineapple, tomatoes, red pears, plums, apricots and FIGS! (if you've got any good recipes incorporating any of these items, shoot them my way!)

The conventional basket with fruit & vegetables. For veggies we got broccoli, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms and spinach. I am excited to make garden vegetable omelets for lunch!

Conventional + Oriental basket. Wow! What selection!
Seriously, if anyone has good Asian recipes, please send them to me!


No comments: