Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scrumptious Sunday

We had a potluck for Dan's department on Saturday. He volunteered me to bring desserts, so I finally got to break in my KitchenAid mixer!

The first dessert: Chubby Hubby Bars - like the Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor. They are very good!

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. unsalted butter at room temp.
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
1/4 c. chunky peanut butter
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pretzles
1/4 c. chocolate chips (for top)
1/4 c. peanut butter chips (for top)
1/4 c. coarsely chopped pretzles (for top)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13" pan with foil and spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer, beat butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients until blended. Add peanut butter. Stir in pretzles and chocolate chips.

2. Spread batter in the pan. Sprinkle peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and pretzles.

3. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

My version:
I used Trader Joe's mini peanut butter cups (chopped) instead of chocolate or peanut butter chips. I did this for one reason: baking supplies are EXPENSIVE here in Arizona! (hint, hint for those looking for gift ideas. Yes, some flour, spices, and an abundance of chips in various flavors would make my day.) They worked great! The bars are delicious. Definitely make them for something where sharing is necessary!

THEN I baked a second dessert, which I invented.

Due to my abundance of pretzels, I wanted to make that strawberry pretzel dessert. After finding a recipe online, I realized that I did NOT want to make that particular dessert. I did want to make the pretzel crust; I did want to use strawberries. My mom has made this 'dessert' before (those of you dieters will know what I'm talking about) - that involves pureeing your favorite berries, mixing in some yogurt and then some Cool Whip. I decided to combine these. Super easy - pretty good.

Chop 2 c. pretzels in a food processor. Add in 3/4 c. butter (softened or melted) with 3 T. sugar and mix together. Bake at 400 for 6 - 10 minutes in a 9x13 pan.

Wash & quarter 1 pt. strawberries. Puree in a food processor. Mix with two, six ounce containers of yogurt. Finally add 1 8-oz. tub of Cool Whip (I used fat free). Pour into the pretzel crust. Refrigerate and enjoy.

--I put this in the freezer, and it took awhile to 'defrost' and thus be able to eat. I would recommend just refrigerating it.

1 comment:

Farmgirl Chaos said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try these. Did I already say yum? YUM!


:)