Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Life as a Book Report: Confessions

Lately, I have been reading Confessions, by Saint Augustine.
Confessions (Penguin Classics)
(cover photo courtesy of Amazon.com)

I do not have words to fully describe the impact this book has had on both my thought life and spiritual life. Currently, in my life there are several unknowns. I am still looking for a full-time position, though I have had a part-time, temporary position created for me. I am concerned about our cash-flow situation. I am concerned about our country's economic system and if using our emergency fund to help our cash-flow situation (which is the reason it is there) is really wise. In short, I worry.

In Confessions, St. Augustine recounts his life story - but from the perspective of a penitent sinner who recognizes both his folly and God's faithfulness at every stage in his life. It really is a mindful. Wrapping my head around the profound truth and simplicity has been a blessing to me at this particular time in life. Processing and meditating on these truths has also required me to renew my subscription twice at Pima County Library.

Seeing the way that St. Augustine recognizes God's hand in all things, even though Augustine exercised his free-will and chose to think and do all sorts of things that drove him farther and farther into darkness - has helped me do the same in my life.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone. In the course of his life, Augustine was a sinner, a seeker, a scholar and a (eventually) saint - much like many of us. His journey to Christ was a long one and choosing Catholicism was a decision that he meditated on deeply. I believe that anyone can benefit from reading his Confessions - sinner, seeker, scholar, or 'saint.'

But you don't have to take my word for it!

No comments: