Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thankful Thursday

As alluded to in my last post, I found out last week that I didn't get my "dream" job. At the same time that I was interviewing for the dream job, I interviewed for a position with the Community Outreach Program for the Deaf (COPD). It was actually a pre-interview - to determine if I had the skill set for the actual position and should be passed on to the Board for review. 

I didn't get that position.

HOWEVER, they saw that I had potential to contribute toward the organization and offered me a part-time, temporary position. While I licked my wounds from dream job, the other offer seemed to be a lame consolation prize.

My first day was Monday.  Even then, it seemed a bit of the consolation prize.  HOWEVER, as my week has progressed, I am quite awed at God's goodness and provision toward our family. 

Who hasn't asked for a job to be created just for them?  Essentially, this job is!  The director recognized my ability to take on projects and complete them - and that is exactly what she wants me to do.  I will be responsible for organizing "Employer Outreach Events" - appreciation, recognition and recruitment.  I will try to develop new job opportunities.  I will also be developing market opportunities to sell products from the woodshop.

Let me tell you a little about COPD's vocational services.  Essentially, they serve two types of clients: competitive and non-competitive.  Those who are able to compete in the workforce against us hearing folks, but need assistance finding jobs or training - are the 'competitive' clients.  The non-competitive are developmentally disabled and may have hearing deficits (deaf or hard of hearing).  These clients require supervision and may only be able to do a portion of the work a competitive person.  COPD has developed contracts with a hotel to do house-keeping, some government agencies to provide janitorial services, Catholic Community Services' meals-on-wheels program assembling the meals, and the woodshop - making shelves, spice racks, book ends, etc.

One reason I feel so blessed is the opportunity to develop new opportunities for a marginalized group of society.  COPD is part of Catholic Community Services.  I think the work the vocational program does is such an important aspect of recognizing human dignity.  We were created both to be and also to do.  Working, creating, contributing - these are part of what makes us human.  I feel blessed to be able to work to provide these opportunities for others.

I don't know how long I will be at COPD, but I am at peace. I know that God will meet our needs! In the meantime, the following verses will be my guiding light and prayer.

Psalm 85:11-14
Love and truth will meet;
Justice and peace will kiss.
Truth will spring from the earth;
Justice will look down from heaven.
The Lord will surel grant abudance; our land will yield its increase.
Prosperity will march before the Lord, and good fortune will follow behind.

No comments: